Rail Album for steam engines, diesel locos and railway wagons


Home  |  Industrial Railways  |  Contact Us


Wooden Railway near Llangollen

The Deeside Tramway from Glyndyfrdwy to Moelfferna

Rail Album for railway and other photographs

 
Part 1 (this page)    Part 2    Part 3    Part 4    Part 5    Part 6    Part 7
 
The famous wooden railway near Llangollen was opened in stages.  The story begins with a slate quarry and its associated processing mill on the hill above Glyndyfrdwy.  Production may have begun circa 1870.  At this time slates were despatched by road, possibly on a form of sled pulled by a horse.
 
 By 1891 a larger quarry was in production further up the hill, being joined to the processing mill by a wooden tramway.  In order to transport the increased output of slates a rope worked incline railway was opened from the processing mill down to the Great Western Railway (GWR) at Glyndyfrdwy. This new quarry was known as the Deeside Slab Quarry and the industrial railway joining it to the mill was known as the Deeside Tramway.
 
A map dated 1900 shows no change from the situation in 1891.  But a map dated two years later shows a third quarry further up the hill, served by a railway from the Deeside Slab Quarry.  This section of railway included a rope worked incline at each end.  The new quarry was called the Moelfferna Quarry.
 
This group of web pages illustrate what remained of the former railway system in the 1980s, starting from the Glyndyfrdwy end and finishing at the Moelfferna Quarry.
 
 
Rail Album for railway and other photographs
  Rail Album for railway and other photographs The view looking north down the rope worked incline from the slate processing mill down to the transhipment sidings in the Great Western Railway yard at Glyndyfrdwy.
 
Llangollen is a few miles to the right of this photograph.  The A5 road from Llangollen towards Anglesey crosses over the former inclined railway in the centre distance.
 

 Rail Album for railway and other photographs
  Rail Album for railway and other photographs This view was taken from approximately the same position as the previous one, but facing the other way.  
 
At the top of the incline are the remains of the incline winding house.  This consisted of two stone wall supporting a large drum.  The drum had long and had been replaced by a flimsy flat roof to provide shelter for sheep. 
 
     
 

You may be interested in these DVDs:

 
 

Industrial Stream Across Britain Volume 1
Narrow Gauge Adventure
Ffestiniog Railway

 
     
 
 Rail Album for railway and other photographs
  Rail Album for railway and other photographs The other side of the former incline winding house is shown in this view looking north towards Glyndyfrdwy.
 
Photograph was taken from the track bed of the former level stretch of line from the processing mill. 
 
The car on the adjacent road was a Ford Cortina Mark IV.
 
 
Part 1 (this page)    Part 2    Part 3    Part 4    Part 5    Part 6    Part 7
 
     
  - This page sponsored by Saxon Court Books -
  Books and DVDs on railways, planes, ships, cars, buses and trams
 
     


- please report broken links to railalbum@parthenon.uk.com -

  Parthenon Consultancy Limited 2009