The main British Second World War wagon for carrying tanks and other vehicles was the 50-ton version of the 'Warflat' wagon. It was a development of the 45-ton design with added strengthening bars along both the top and bottom of the solebar. All were built by the Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage & Wagon Company in Birmingham.
As with the 45-ton version, these wagons were registered by the LMS as privately owned wagons belonging to the War Department. They carried painted numbers in the format WD-FVF-X, where 'X' was a the wagon number. WD were the initials of the War Department and FVF stood for Fighting Vehicle Flat.
Manufacturer's photograph of 50-ton 'Warflat' wagon WD-FVF-315.
British Steel Corporation's Ebbw Vale Works wagon number 1003 was a 50 ton 'Warflat' wagon. It is seen here in preservation at Blaenavon on 19th June 1994.
Diagram of a 50-ton 'Warflat" wagon.
A number of the 'Warflat' wagons became internal use vehicles at army depots when retired from main line use. This is ARMY 80652 photographed on 26th November 1999.
British Steel Corporation's Ebbw Vale Works 50 ton 'Warflat' wagon number 1003.
Photographed at Blaenavon on 19th June 1994.
Bi-lingual (English and French) plate on British Steel Corporation's Ebbw Vale Works 50 ton 'Warflat' wagon number 1003. Photographed at Blaenavon on 19th June 1994.
Ministry of Supply diagram of the bi-lingual plate.
In 1961 a number of war surplus railway wagons were sold to BR, and this is one of them. Wagon number W161049 was BR type Flat WC to diagram 2/073 and was part of lot number 3416. It is seen preserved on the Swindon & Cricklade Railway on 26th September 2007.
Army internal use 50-ton 'Warflat' wagon WGF 8094 on 26th November 1999.
Home > Wagons > Military Wagons | Contact Us