The Second World War 'Warflat' wagon was a development of the First World War 'Parrott' wagon. Initially a 45-ton design was produced, but later a strengthened design capable of carrying a load of 50 tons was produced. All of the 'Warflats' were built by the Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage & Wagon Company in Birmingham.
The 45-ton version was intended for use in France and the wagons were to be painted in SNCF livery. However, France was occupied by German forces and the 'Warflat' wagons were consequently used in Britain until many went 'far side' following the D-Day invasion of Europe.
All of the 'Warflat' wagons were registered by the LMS as privately owned wagons belonging to the War Department. They were given registration numbers starting at 1 and received painted numbers starting at WD-FVF-1, where FVF stood for Fighting Vehicle Flat.
Rosyth Dockyard internal use wagon number 1 awaiting disposal at Rosyth on 26th February 1993.
This wagon carried LMS private owner registration plate number 359 of 1941. The maker's plate showed it was built by Metropolitan-Cammell in Birmingham in 1941.
Many of the 'Warflat' wagons were disposed of post-war as war surplus to European railway administrations and industrial railways. This example became British Railways property as number W160098, a Bogie Bolster B to diagram 1/485 as part of lot number 3414 and is believed to have later been fitted with cradles to carry steel coils.
Allied Steel & Wire in Cardiff bought the wagon from BR for their industrial railway and gave it their fleet number BF992. In June 1988 they added an open body to carry scrap metal. Photographed at Allied Steel & Wire on 25th July 1997.
Diagram of a 45-ton 'Warflat" wagon for France.
Allied Steel & Wire in Cardiff wagon number BF993. This was formerly BR number W160101 and had its scrap carrying body added at the steelworks in April 1988. Another former BR Bogie Bolster B to diagram 1/485 as part of lot number 3414. Photographed at Allied Steel & Wire on 25th July 1997.
A further view of Rosyth Dockyard internal use 'Warflat' wagon number 1 at Rosyth on 26th February 1993.
Another view of Allied Steel & Wire in Cardiff wagon number BF993, formerly BR number W160101. Photographed at Allied Steel & Wire on 25th July 1997.
Home > Wagons > Military Wagons | Contact Us