Rail Album for steam engines, diesel locos and railway wagons


Home  |  General Interest Index  |  Contact Us
 
Weybridge Monument

The York Column

Rail Album for railway and other photographs

 
 
Rail Album for railway and other photographs
The York Column stands at the base of Monument Hill in Weybridge. View to south-west. 23rd December 2008.
 
 
 
Rail Album for railway and other photographs
The dedication on the monument.
 
     
 

This column was erected by the inhabitants of Weybridge and its vicinity on the 6th day of August 1822 by voluntary contribution. In token of their sincere esteem and regard for her late Royal Highness the most excellent and illustrious Frederica Charlotte Ulrica Catherina, Duchess of York.
Who resided for upwards of thirty years at Oatlands in this parish, exercising every Christian virtue and died, universally regretted, on the 6th day of August 1820.

 
     
 
 
Rail Album for railway and other photographs
The York Column at Weybridge. Behind it is the "Ship Inn". View to north-west. 23rd December 2008.
 
      
 
 Rail Album for railway and other photographs
Frederica, Duchess of York. 1791.
 
 
     
 

Frederica Charlotte Ulrica Catherina (baptised Friederike Charlotte Ulrike Katharina) was born in Berlin-Charlottenburg on 7th May 1767 to King Frederick William II of Prussia and Elisabeth Christine of Brunswick-Lüneburg.
 
She married Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany on 29th September 1791 at Charlottenburg Palace, with a second ceremony at Buckingham Palace on 23rd November 1791.

 
     

     
   Rail Album for railway and other photographs
The York Column at Weybridge. View to south-west. 23rd December 2008.
 

     
 

Frederica was 53 when she died at her home, Oatlands Park at Weybridge on 6th August 1820. Her burial took place at Weybridge Old Church. Her chest tomb is by the path between Church Street and the present St James Church.

 
     

      
 
Rail Album for railway and other photographs
The York Column, looking up Monument Hill.  23rd December 2008.
 

     
 

The York Column was originally a sun dial, located at Seven Dials in St Giles, London. This was part of a redevelopment scheme by the MP Thomas Neale following the Great Fire of London. The sculptor was Edward Pierce.

 
     


 
 Rail Album for railway and other photographs
The original Seven Dials sun dial.
 

     
 

The sun dial was taken down by the City Commissioners in 1773 and the remains were put into the garden of James Paine, an architect, at Sayes Court, Addlestone.
 
Mr Joseph Todd, landlord of the "Ship Inn" organised a collection which funded the re-erection of the column at its present location. 
 
It was felt that the dial stone would be too heavy than was safe, so the column was instead topped with a ducal coronet. The dial stone was used as a mounting block, and was latterly moved to the old Weybridge Council offices and then moved again to the west side of Weybridge library.

 
     

     
 
Rail Album for railway and other photographs
The poem on the York Column.  23rd December 2008.
 

     
 

Ye poor, suppress the mournful sigh,
Her spirit is with Christ on High,
In those bright realms of heavenly peace,
Where charity shall never cease,
Her deeds of mercy and of love,
Are registered in courts above.

 
     

 
 
Rail Album for railway and other photographs
The York Column, looking east.  23rd December 2008.
 

     
  - This page is sponsored by Blue Heron's Your Horse & Pony Book and DVD catalogue -  
     


- please report broken links to railalbum@parthenon.uk.com -

©  Parthenon Consultancy Limited 2009