The "Invicta" steam engine was built by Robert Stephenson
& Co in 1830 (some sources say 1829) at
the Forth Works in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, as works number 24. The
price paid for her was £635.
The locomotive was shipped by sea to Whitstable harbour and hauled her first train
from there on 3rd May 1830. The locomotive was taken out of
service in 1836 and unsuccessful attempts were made to sell her in 1839.
Driving wheels 4' 0" diameter. Boiler pressure 40 lbs / sq in.
Cylinders 10" x 18".
The Canterbury & Whitstable Railway was leased by the South
Eastern Railway (SER) from 29th September 1844, and became SER property
on 13th December 1853. The new owners continued to keep "Invicta"
in storage. In 1875 she was exhibited at the Golden Jubilee
celebrations of the Stockton & Darlington Railway and at the
Newcastle Stephenson Centenary in 1881
Restoration work was carried out on "Invicta" starting in 1892
and she was put on public display in Dane John Gardens in
Canterbury. Further restoration was carried out in 1977 and she
was placed in Kent County Council's Canterbury Museum in Stour Street.